Old 12-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Moontanman

Default [IBC] Artificial lighting

That said, I'm sorry you lost your greenhouse, but I don't
believe that any amount of wishing will allow bald cypress to
thrive indoors. They may live for a while, but will decline and
eventually die. Even trees that survive indoors (Serissa, ficus,
etc.) do not really like it. Indoors is not the native habitat
of any tree or shrub. Some can survive, most cannot. Some die
almost immediately, others decline over a period of years. The
result is the same.

A physiological fact of life (or death).

So what you are saying is that even though my tupelos and mangroves and even my
umbrella plams (not trees) nearly need to be trimmed with a chain saw they grow
so fast there is no way i can get my Bald cypress to grow inside? the mangrove
trees act like they would like to wrap around the metal halide bulb as do the
umbrella palms. I do indeed provide a mostly inclosed environment for my
vivariums ( you really can't call them aquariums ) to promote moisture and so
far only cattails and bald cypress are really giving me a hard time. I wish
everyone could have seen my 125 gallon aquarium with 1 water tupello, 3 bald
cypress, 1 mangrove, a patch of dwarf cattails, dwarf umbrella palms and many
moses ferns and bromillads growing as epiphytes. Not to mention submerged
plants water lillies and a lotus. with a huge school of cardinal tetras, glass
catfish, striped African glass catfish, double trunked elephantnose fish,
upside down catfish, blue spotted sunfish, black banded sunfish, freshwater
flounders, shrimp, dwarf crayfish, clams and snails. even the local public
aquarium people were impressed. maybe i'll just cut a hole in the wall and
mount the aquarium outside inside it's own greenhouse... I could make the
aquarium bigger and the display even better! The water trees take up so much
nutrients the fish absolutely glow with their natural colors. Of course i may
have to get a new wife.... surely there are women who like fish and trees as
much as i do! Just kidding but i do intend to solve this problem. I'm just too
old to stop now!

Moon