Old 12-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Anyone Have Japanese Beetles?

Don,

Since you already have tons of JB, you might try a trap or two to draw them
away from the pond. (or plant roses, as Susan said, sigh......) This year,
I decided not to use JB traps & see if things are better. So far, there
seem to be fewer JB than usual (or it's just early), and my grapevines still
have some intact leaves.

If I lived in an urban area, it wouldn't make much difference if I did not
put up traps & all my neighbors did, but I can't see any traps at the
neighbors', which means there aren't any within 200-300 feet, at least.

I used Sevin spray on edible plants & Orthonex on non-edibles, but my
situation is probably different from yours -- I have a teeny little water
garden on an acre.

BTW, I'm living proof that there is at least *one* person on this newsgroup
who hasn't been totally bitten by the pond bug! (At least not in the 4
years since we put in said teeny water garden.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Don Cunningham" wrote in message
We have them by the millions. They are swarming the pond. My fish aren't

big
enough yet to enjoy them as a snack, and they are causing a real problem.
There are so many and they give off an oily substance that has turned the
water reddish brown.

Anyone know how to deal with this?

don cunningham