Old 12-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Nancy Coffey

Default iris borer infestation

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:46:46, "Starlord"
wrote:
While we don't have them out here in the desert, I know of other people back
east that fight them EVERY YEAR.

I've had them for years too and have tried to keep them under control
but they really got ahead of me. I saw the damage earlier this year
but had to wait until they were big enough to locate before trying to
kill them.

You can get some ajax cleaner with bleach in it
and cover the rhizme with it, this will protect the rhizome and help kill
anything left behind.

I'll wash them off well and then apply Ajax, to see if it helps.

In the fall you need to clean up any dead fans and stuff
from around the iris, this is where the moth lays it's eggs for the winter.

I do this, but the leaves should be burned or bagged and put out with
the garbage and I haven't always done this.

I was concerned about leaving them out of the ground for 2-3 weeks. I
think they should be OK but I'd like to hear opinions to the contrary.

Thanks,
Nancy