Old 12-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Artificial lighting

That said, I'm sorry you lost your greenhouse, but I don't
believe that any amount of wishing will allow bald cypress to
thrive indoors. They may live for a while, but will decline

and
eventually die. Even trees that survive indoors (Serissa,

ficus,
etc.) do not really like it. Indoors is not the native

habitat
of any tree or shrub. Some can survive, most cannot. Some

die
almost immediately, others decline over a period of years.

The
result is the same.

A physiological fact of life (or death).

So what you are saying is that even though my tupelos and

mangroves and even my
umbrella plams (not trees) nearly need to be trimmed with a

chain saw they grow
so fast there is no way i can get my Bald cypress to grow

inside?

I think that "survive" was the key term, but . . . Yes.

Mangroves and whatever that umbrella palm is are "tropical"
trees. Bald cypress are NOT tropical, or even semi-tropical.

But . . . neither are tupelo. How long have you had the tupelos
growing inside? (I can't imagine that tupelo leaves reduce
enough to be attractive???). My swamp here at the farm is filled
with several species of Nyssa, and I have never even thought of
them as bonsai.

(And it would be a heckuva lot easier to carry on a conversation
if you didn't have that doctored e-mail addy.)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++