Old 13-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Suicidal koi survives...can it grow new scales?

Thanks Ingrid.

I wish I could catch it to isolate it! Even wounded, they do not want to
come to be caught.

It is now swimming with the others. It seems to be doing alright, tho
looking wierd. I will definitely try to put up a couple of pictures on our
website. I have it in the crate and swimming today.

It appears to be a really resilliant fish!

We shall see.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
wrote in message
fish that get stuck strip off their slime coat in addition to the scales.

the stress
of being stuck also has an effect. I would have dropped the fish into a

quarantine
tank with some salt, polyaqua and fed antibiotic food just in case. And

kept a close
eye on it for parasites. Scales and fins will normally regrow. Salt in

the pond will
help with recovery if a quarantine tank is not going to be used. Ingrid

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote:
Then, about ten days ago, one of our pretty fantail koi decided to push
through an opening that was too small.

It has lost portions of its tail
and fins. It has a bare midrif and a patch of scales missing on one

side.
No fungus or anything else to show illness.
Our question: Will it regrow the peeled scales? Or just look grotesque

for
ever?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/