Old 13-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default New lawn preparation

In message , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(pied piper) wrote:

why wait til autum seed it now

I believe spring and autumn are considered the best times. Currently,
the ground is bone dry and and in my particular case, preparation of the
the ground has only just started.

Indeed. If you sow grass seed now you have got to keep it well watered
in any warm weather.

If you want a good tilth then I think the only answer is to put some
work into it. Break up the lumps, rake it, break up lumps, rake it etc.
Of course dry weather makes the lumps dry and hard - I may be tempted to
leave it until later in the year.

(Frost can help, but it doesn't break it down that much.

I've no experience of this. but some one called Paul Womack/Bugbear who
used to post here posted a number of times about the lengths he went to
prepare a surface for a new lawn.

http://www.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=...20progress&as_
ugroup=uk.rec.gardening&lr=&hl=en

Will get you the threads.