Old 13-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Shiva

Default Mr Lincoln's WOW!

On 12 Jul 2003 00:53:49 -0400, Tom Line
wrote:

About the time I decided the dark green dull folage in my new Mr Lincoln's
was the crap, they started blooming. DAWG! I've never seen so many shape
and stunning color changes in a rose bloom before. Keepers!! They're tiny
red, then purple, then they get red and BIG. What a show!

Mr. L. was among the first roses I grew and I will never forget my
pride at being able to grow such perfect, long-stemmed red buds and
lush red-to-purple blooms. It was a vigorous rose here, too. All in
all, I can see why it is a good choice for a beginner, and just a
great all around rose. My taste has since changed to the point that
Mr. L. doesn't suit me--too tall a plant (like, 12-15 feet), too
upright a habit, and blooms that just do not stay red very long or
have a "nice" (eg high centered) form. But STILL-- it is one of the
all around great roses. Congrats on how well yours is doing.

About dark green foliage--have you seen that of the climber New Dawn?
Small leaves, but wow! Dark dark green and so shiny!

Still want
something more fragrant.

Honestly--are you sure that's Mr. L you have? I have never met one
that was not fragrant.

Wonder if food or anything else affects
fragrance?

As someone wise just wrote--time of day. Stronger in the morning,
before the oils burn off.

--

Tom Line