Old 13-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Artificial lighting

Moon: I, for one, am curious to see what you are talking about. Would you mind
taking a few photos of your "vivarium" plantings and post them on the IBC Virtual
Gallery? You can find it and directions on how to post at:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...bonsaiclub&bn=
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
That said, I'm sorry you lost your greenhouse, but I don't
believe that any amount of wishing will allow bald cypress to
thrive indoors. They may live for a while, but will decline and
eventually die. Even trees that survive indoors (Serissa, ficus,
etc.) do not really like it. Indoors is not the native habitat
of any tree or shrub. Some can survive, most cannot. Some die
almost immediately, others decline over a period of years. The
result is the same. A physiological fact of life (or death).
==============
Moontanman wrote:
So what you are saying is that even though my tupelos and mangroves and even my
umbrella palms (not trees) nearly need to be trimmed with a chain saw they grow so
fast there is no way i can get my Bald cypress to grow inside? the mangrove trees
act like they would like to wrap around the metal halide bulb as do the umbrella
palms.
I do indeed provide a mostly enclosed environment for my vivariums (you really can't
call them aquariums) to promote moisture and so far only cattails and bald cypress
are really giving me a hard time.
I wish everyone could have seen my 125 gallon aquarium with 1 water tupelo, 3 bald
cypress, 1 mangrove, a patch of dwarf cattails, dwarf umbrella palms and many moses
ferns and bromeliads growing as epiphytes. Not to mention submerged plants water
lilies and a lotus. with a huge school of cardinal tetras, glass catfish, striped
African glass catfish, double trunked elephantnose fish, upside down catfish, blue
spotted sunfish, black banded sunfish, freshwater flounders, shrimp, dwarf crayfish,
clams and snails. even the local public aquarium people were impressed.
maybe i'll just cut a hole in the wall and mount the aquarium outside inside it's
own greenhouse... I could make the aquarium bigger and the display even better! The
water trees take up so much nutrients the fish absolutely glow with their natural
colors. Of course i may have to get a new wife.... surely there are women who like
fish and trees as much as i do! Just kidding but i do intend to solve this problem.
I'm just too old to stop now!
Moon

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++