Old 13-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Let's Talk About Mulch

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...

This topic usually comes up in the fall, but mulch is used for a
number of reasons outside of winter protection, so I'm thinking about
it now.

I have about a four inch layer of pine bark "nuggets" on top of a layer of
landscaping "weed barrier" paper...the end of the rose garden with the
permeable plastic stuff is so overgrown with weeds I have despaired of ever
getting it cleaned out again.

I did lay soaker hose throughout, on top of the paper, under the mulch, so I
can drip irrigate without spashbacks on the leaves.

But my problem is with fertilizing...I have to rake back all the mulch, then
peel back the paper, or unwrap it from around the base of the plants,
scratch in the fertilizer, then lay it all back down again. That's the only
real drawback I can think of, other than attracting unwanted pests. My
mole/vole problem is under the landscaping paper, where they submarined in
to destroy the roots of most of my underplanted perennials, and selectively
chewed some of the roses' roots. I think they like the ice plants and
columbine much better, as they were almost annihilated, whereas my roses
suffered only sporadic attacks.

That wold be ok if it were just a couple bushes, but I have several dozen in
that bed alone, so I have been foliar feeding, and adding liquid fertilizer
to a drip tank attached to the soaker irrigation (Monty's Joy Juice, kelp
extract, seaweed extract, fish emulsion, an occaisional pinch of phosphorus,
Miracle Gro plant and root booster, etc.)

Scopata Fuori

"Bad Cat!"