Old 23-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Frank Miles

Default Soil testing kits

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Frank Miles" wrote in message
In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Does anybody use do-it-yourself soil testing? I mean the sort that

have
tests for pH, and N, P and K at the very least. What kit did you

use?
Was it any good?

I am mainly concerned with the accuracy and usefulness of results, I
don't mind if I need to go to some trouble to get good results but I
don't want to waste time and money (and possibly do harm)

"correcting"
problems that are not there.

I've used both the DIY kits and soil testing services. Agreement has
been pretty good, the main difference being the improved resolution
of the services, and more importantly the greater completeness (Ca/Mg,
heavy metal check, etc.) that services can offer.

What DIY kit did you use? It may not be available here but it might.

Several, actually. Sudbury was one; don't remember the others. AFAICT
they are fairly comparable.

-frank