Old 13-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Tomatoes not ripening

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:12:57 GMT, "Dave Allyn"
(Dave Allyn) wrote:

I have always wondered... I assume you are revering to the "coffee
can's" that are put around baby tom's... what is the purpose for
them? what do they do??

No, not 'coffee cans'. See: http://www.wallowater.com -
the pictures are TERRIBLE quality unfortunately. Here's a
better picture of a similar thing:

http://tinyurl.com/gseq

The ones shown above are red, the actual WalloWaters (at
least mine) are green.

Each WoW is a circlet of plastic tubes - you fill the tubes
with water and put the circlet over the plant. The tubes of
water acquire heat in the daytime (from the sun), and
release enough of it at night to keep the plants from
freezing.

In my experience, at least, they really do work. They not
only keep the tomato (or other) plants from freezing, they
give them a warm and sheltered environment. And you can
use them from year-to-year: we're only on our second year
with them, but they look just fine and as if they will last
quite a few more years.

Where we live, the nights get quite cold even in late May
and June, and tomatoes tend to just sit and sulk when the
nights are cold, so these are a real help.

Pat