Old 13-07-2003, 03:56 PM
animaux

Default Where to buy a LARGE Live Oak?

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:31:05 +0000 (UTC), (Victor M.
Martinez) wrote:

2003 - 1890 = 113 years. Not 400. Not even close.

I was told, and it may not be true that, live oaks are difficult to age unless
you cut it down and count sections. Some years it can grow in a spurt which
burst open it's own bark. During years of drought, the tree may not put out any
new diameter, only enough of a ring to determine what kind of year it was.

So, the live oak trees we have on our property are numbered by Williamson County
and we have an idea. One of the multi trunked trees is upwards of two hundred,
the ones in the front are about 200 years old. The trees are the only reason we
bought this house. I nurture them as if they were precious jewels. I don't
water shallowly, or over fertilize AND never use weed and feed products.

I also have a core aeration done once a year. It's cheap at about 40 dollars to
have someone come in and use a plug core aerator. The payback is remarkable in
how the turf needs less water due to the compost I lay down and fill the plug
holes with.