Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
andrewpreece

Default Help identifying a weed

It looks like Columbine ( Aquilegia Vulgaris ). If it is, you should get
purple flowers in spring. I believe, FYI, that newsgroup etiquette
sticklers don't like have photos that automatically open when you
read a message; they prefer a link to the jpegs. No idea how to control
it, I actually grow it in my borders intentionally!

Andy

"Mathhew Johnston" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have been clearing out an overgrown garden (moved into a new flat),
and came across what seems to be a weed that has very tightly knotted
roots and spreads over quite a large area (digging up clumps of matted
roots about 30-40cm in size).
My main concern is that it still seems to come back up time to time (in
some areas there are still a lot of single roots, but don't seem to be
growing). I have attached 2 photot's of the plant, I would be grantful
if can you help me out in telling what it is and how to control it. At
the moment I don't want to plant anything in there until I know what it
is, as the roots system on the weed looks as though it would end up
choking the plants I would put in.

Thanks in advance,

Mathhew.

----