Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
rmw

Default Planted pumpkins and kabocha but one looks like zucchini

Hi All,
reply at the end.

Pat Meadows wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:05:37 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:

I planted a whole lot of pumpkin and kabocha seeds this year but one
plant has "fruit" that looks like zucchini! I've never grown zucchini
here so it couldn't be a volunteer. Could it be that a bee pollinated
one of the pumpkin flowers with zucchini pollen and that's what
happened?

Wouldn't it be more likely that this happened *last year*,
i.e., that a bee pollinated a pumpkin or kabocha plant last
year with zucchini pollen - and the seed you planted this
year is a hybrid (mix)?

I'm NOT sure of this, maybe someone else is?

The question: can fruit *this year* become different
because of pollination from a different variety?

Or can it only affect *next year's* fruit?

Pat

as far as I know it can only affect next years seed. if you eat fruit from
an F1 hybrid the fruit is normal, it is only when you plant saved seed the
next year that you get problems. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.