Old 13-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Pickle

Default Pruning bramleys?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

When, and how, is the right time to prune brambleys, without some
sort of pruning the things will grow out of control?

Alan

Alan, we have a very old and large bramley in our garden.
All you can do really is remove any crowded or crossing branches to keep the
centre open.
Our tree had been neglected for several years so what we have done is remove
branches that are obviously past their fruit-bearing best and thin out the
crowded growth. This has rewarded us with much larger apples but it has also
made the tree grow quite a lot! Bramley trees do get pretty big and there's
not a lot you can do about it without compromising next year's fruit.