Old 13-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Tomatolord

Default Transplant the gardener...

welcome to the south!!

Ok first thing is this (from a zone 6 person)

The summers here are (usually) very hot and dry - sporadic thunderstorms
cant be counted on for real rain. While the winters are warmer but still
not as cold as they need to be.

This area is really on the border of zone 7, not really close to zone 8 , so
REAL zone 7 plants need protection from northern winter winds and winter
morning sun.

GIVE up on amending the soil and go straight to raised beds, you will spend
ALOT less time and hassle than trying to convert native clay soil to anytype
of real soil.

Raleigh landfill of of buffaloe road has leaf mulch cheap, make use of it!!

The local places I like other than plants delights of course

Logans trading company - raleigh
lassiter mills - raleigh
Niche Gardens (chapel hill/carrboro)
Camellia Forest (chapel hill/carrboro)
farmers market - raleigh

good luck

Tomato lord
Obtw we have lots of deer that would LOVE your roses

"Kathie" wrote in message

Hi!
I'm transplanted Zone 5 master gardener who is trying to be something
other than a master dummy down here in Zone 7/8.
I have just purchased an acre of lovely--if slightly overrun--shade
garden, and am happily going through my first year of watch and
wait...learning what I have and what to do with it. Any hints on
Triangle gardening in general, and hydrangeas iin particular? When do
I trim back, and how much. Also, am I the only gardener down here who
doesn't have the patience for the much-vaunted rose...? Will I be
accepted in the community if my yard bears not a single rose
bush...???...and does anybody want the ones I have...?

--
Kathie

News==----

Newsgroups