Old 14-07-2003, 02:14 AM
RichToyBox

Default **sick koi** #help#

muffin,

The white spots look like scarred areas that are healing. A couple of my
fish skinned themselves pretty good during spawning and have a similar
appearance. If it is getting worse, then it could be columnaris, and the PP
is a good choice for treatment. The red area on koi #3 looks to be a bruise
or abrasion, not really an ulcer. It isn't nearly inflamed enough to worry
about yet. The PP and salt will minimize the chances of infection.

The film on the water is probably proteins. It is almost like an oil slick
and adds a strange shine to the surface, limiting the visibility into the
water. The PP will help to digest the proteins and you should see a lot of
brown foam at the waterfall if that is the case. It can be removed by
overflowing the pond, which makes one form of skimmer action, but spray the
water toward the overflow area to speed the skimming action.
--
RichToyBox

"*muffin*" wrote in message
ok,, it finally hit. I have sick koi.

(seems to be about 5 koi,, goldfish don't seem to be affected)

there is no way I can catch them,,, & the pics I have on my site are the
best I can get(so far) .

looks like whitespot stuff on a few koi & one koi looks like an ulcer #3
pic (??). the whitespot stuff, is just kind of a dull patch on the koi,
like murkywhite( not sure if I am describing it right), doesn't look
'fuzzy'.

ok, pics are on http://community.webshots.com/album/74707665onrGAN

koi #1,2,3

what is BEST way to treat pond,, (3600 gal. have melafix & Potassium
permanganate)

& also, question about pond.. it has a *film* on the top of it , any

ideas??
I do not have a skimmer ( don't want one, because of floating plants),, I

do
have a water falls running though, & 'big' filter.

I am running a UV filter, & it finally has started to clear, but as you

can
see, still murky.