Old 14-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Lynn F. Russell

Default Which type of grass, and when to act?

If you're going to hire someone to kill the weeds and reseed, they will know
what is best for your area and climate.

The best time to undertake this project is in the fall.

"Peter Reynolds" wrote in message
om...
My family has a fairly large back yard, and I'm afraid that it's been
badly neglected. In addition to scattered sections of sparse,
unmatched grass, there are patches of bare soil, moss, ivy and all
sorts of weeds.

We've decided that the best course of action is to kill everything and
start over. (We obviously aren't gardeners, so we'll be hiring
someone.) I'm seeking recommendations for an appropriate type of
grass seed, and also the best time of year to go forward with the
project.

We don't want to invest more than a minimal amount of effort into
maintenance, (watering, mowing, etc.) as we literally never use this
yard. We would, however, prefer that it look fairly presentable when
we glance out the window.

The yard contains a combination of sunny and shady areas. We're
located in central New Jersey. (Zone 6, according to this map:
http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=NJ) We experience
both droughts and long periods of rain.

Thanks in advance!