Old 14-07-2003, 08:12 AM
amanda pope

Default How does one get old stumps to rot?

Quickest way to get rid ( without hand digging it out) is to use a stump
chipper. I do not think they can be hired as yet but I may be wrong. Look in
yellow pages under tree surgeons and ring round for someone who has one.

It shouldn't cost too much if they don't have far to go.

Rotting stumps takes years and leaves a dangerous slimy obstacle in your
garden.

If a chipper proves to expensive dig it out apples are not too difficult.
There are a lot of no job too small laborours in the local paper if you can
not do it yourself

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Gerry wrote in message
Drill a few holes in the stump and pack with either saltpetre (potassium
nitrate) or milk (experiment with both). Cover openings to prevent it

being
washed out.
Have you considered donating it to a local wood carver. They love apple
trees.

Gerry

--
The reply address is 'OK'
Alan Holmes wrote in message

I have an old apple tree stump in the garden which is a bit of
a nuisance, so how can I accelerate the rotting process?

Alan