Old 14-07-2003, 10:47 AM
GR

Default Need help improving my buddleia blooms!

Following some excellent advice from this newsgroup back in the
spring, I hacked back my 12-foot-tall buddleia to about 3 feet.

It's now back at around 10 feet and the blooms have started, but I'm
rather disappointed in them. The flower spikes are not as thickly
covered in blooms as I'd like; typically, each spike will have a ring
of flowers, then a bit of bare stem, then some more flowers, and so on
out towards the tip. The flower covering improves out at the tip, but
nearer the body of the plant it's more like a "poodle cut" effect.

I really want to improve the density of the flowers on each spike, so
has anyone got any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Is it
simply malnutrition? BTW, I don't know the precise species of
buddleia, but the flowers are a deep purple colour.

The really annoying thing is, I see buddleia growing wild and
completely untended that has thicker, denser blooms than mine!

Cheers,

Gareth