Old 14-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Druss

Default Monty Don

Not sure if attitudes have changed, certainly not in my household, we've
always loved his style, he's so relaxed and laid back about it all. His C4
programmes were very different in style and content to the normal gardening
makeover types we mainly see these days.
The lost gardens one was great, he was enthusiastic, and informative, and
made you want to listen, a major plus in anyone on TV. His Fork to Fork
series is still one of the highlights of TV gardening if you ask me. It's
all organic, it follows veg from the seed packet to the table, i.e. they
even let you in on their cookery. I think they may have been the primary
target of the BBC2 comedy posh nosh, but im only speculating.
All in all it's the best move the BBC made since they hired Geoff Hamilton,
now if Monty could just be introduced to Bob Flowerdew, so he could have his
little spot back on GW, that'd be great.
Duncan

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, JennyC wrote:

It is such a joy to watch Gardeners World again since MD took over !!
A REAL gardener who knows what he's about and I love his baggy old
trousers :~))

Interesting how the attitude towards Monty has changed. When he started
doing gardening programmes on Channel 4 the general attitude was, "What
does *he* know about gardening?" and people were more than a little
scathing.

Not having watched GW since Monty took over can I ask whether he has
matured in the role of a gardening presenter or was he good in the first
place? (I did watch one or two of his Channel 4 programmes. I thought
they were good if a little simplistic - but perhaps that's what Channel
4 engaged him for.)

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |