Old 14-07-2003, 04:50 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default It germinated! (Banana, that is!) Also pumpkin question

Pumpkin plants spread and can have quite a long 'runner' although for bigger
pumpkins you can stop it going too far. I would think they would need a
biggish pot to support all that growth.
Well done with the bananas

Darkginger wrote:
: Just had to share my joy on discovering that one of the four banana
: 'seeds' I planted a couple of months ago has finally germinated
: (although it did say to expect anywhere from 1-6 months on the
: packet!). OK, it's only an inch tall at the moment, but I'm delighted
: - I'm totally (this season) new to gardening, and every new
: germination is like a revelation to me. My question is - should I
: repot it into a huge pot now, or just into a small one, with a view
: to repotting again as it gets bigger? I read something about smaller
: pots giving better root structure, but I can't remember where, now.
: Advice appreciated! (It's indoors, on a windowsill at the moment).
:
: On another note, I planted a few (very old!) pumpkin seeds (labelled
: 'pie pumpkin' - someone sent me self-harvested seeds from the US) two
: weeks ago - more with a view to proving to myself that they were out
: of date and wouldn't do anything so I could chuck the rest out with a
: clear conscience than with any hope of growing a pumpkin - and I now
: have three small pumpkin seedlings. How big will these plants get?
: What size pot would they need to grow successfully? (Everything I
: grow is currently in pots, because the garden is still being built).
: Is it likely that they'll produce fruit in time for Hallowe'en? I
: have pots from 3" to 3' at the moment!
:
: Thanks for any help!
:
: Jo