Old 14-07-2003, 06:22 PM
animaux

Default A grass question

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:12:19 -0500, Mike Dahmus
wrote:

But my neighbor has something which looks like buffalo (or possibly
leftover rye) - my initial assumption is that his lived and mine died
because I failed to rake the 6-inch leaffall when I first moved in;
but it could be that he has a different grass that just looks similar.
(Couldn't ask this weekend; he was out of town).

Is it possible that the near-constant summer shade lowers the
temperature enough to allow another grass to at least survive the
summer?

---
Mike Dahmus
m dah mus @ at @ io.com

Well, not really. There is a grass seed in the fescue varieties which has some
heat tolerance. Buffalo has NO shade tolerance. I've seen some people planting
mondo or dwarf monkey grass in deep or light shade and it can also be mown, but
it is coarse, unlike the fine leaf you are looking for.

Do a search around on www.google.com and see if you can locate the drought and
heat tolerant fescue they've developed. Take a look also at Texas Agriculture
and Mining website. They have a very good take on turf in Texas.

Good luck,
Victoria