Old 24-01-2003, 01:37 AM
SugarChile

Default Pear Tree Death

Magness is a fabulous tasting pear, as well. I don't grow them, but a local
orchard does. Apparently they don't crop heavily and reliably each and
every year here (not sure why, perhaps they bloom on the early side and get
hit by frost some years?), so they don't always have them for sale, but when
they do.....the taste is incomparable, buttery and smooth, rich and sweet,
lots of subtle taste notes.

You could also check into Asian pears; I believe they have better fire
blight resistance than bartlett types. I've grown three of them for over a
dozen years now, and they are very trouble free trees. The fruit is juicy
and crisp, somewhat like an apple, and the taste is like a pear, very sweet
and delicious.

Good luck with whatever you plant next,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Magness and Potomac varieties are fireblight resistant. There may be
more. Two of my three favorite apples (Enterprise and Liberty) are
resistant as well.