Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Peter Reynolds

Default Which type of grass, and when to act?

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

You are going to have to invest more than a minimum amount
of maintainance to get a good stand of grass. Once it is
well established you can ease up on it.

Yes, we're willing to pay special attention, in the beginning.

However, unless you want to be right back in the same situation
it would be best to do some watering during droughts

We will, to the extent that we're legally permitted. During droughts,
it's common for the state/county to place major restrictions on
non-essential water use. This typically includes strict limitations
on the days (with even and odd numbered houses alternating), times,
frequency and/or duration of lawn watering. Last year, it reached the
point at which lawn watering was completely prohibited.

Regardless of weather conditions, I realize that it's best to water a
lawn before dawn. We had an automatic sprinkler system in the front,
but we recently had our front lawn replaced with stones. (Sorry!)

and at least one fertilizing each year in the fall.

We certainly can handle that.

And irregular mowing (letting the grass get very tall and
then cutting it very short) will quickly destroy a lawn.

Guilty as charged. We'll try not to let that happen again, but we'd
like to obtain the slowest-growing grass available. Someone mentioned
in this newsgroup that he mows his lawn once every five days during
the summer, and that simply isn't a feasible possibility for us.

We don't intend to be nearly as lax as before, but we'd like to have
grass that has the highest likelihood of withstanding any
less-than-ideal conditions.

You'd probably do best with a blend of bluegrass, fescue, and ryegrass.

Can you recommend any specific brands? Also, do you have an opinion
of the "Rebel Jr." blend (and similar products) that I mentioned in my
reply to Marvin & Sue?

Check out the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service bulletins on lawns.
(You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them online.)

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/pubs/subc...p?cat=5&sub=39

I will. Thanks very much for your help!