Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Plant Labels - from used aluminium cans

paghat wrote:

...I'm picturing a garden decorated with cut-up Budweisser cans & Clorox bottles.

How 'bout making an elaborate paper collage with the name of each plant
somewhere on the collage, imbed the collage in a block of fiberglass
resin, mount the block of resin on a three foot length of rebar, & pound
these in the ground in front of each plant....plus several other suggestions...

I know a couple of guys who would like their garden decorated with beer
cans (Labatt's blue, not Bud), but it's not for everyone.

The labels are generally meant to be unobtrusive, just there for
information, so they might be small and not detract from the flowers
(which are, after all, the main point). Also, the printed label part of
the cans would be on the back, so you'd only see the "inside" of the
can. Personally, I'd rather put my effort into the garden and not the
labels, but then my garden is just there without any labels at all, so
you will have to guess what's what.

PS: plastic bottles are generally not protected against solar UV, so
they will disintegrate with exposure. Anywhere from a couple of months
to a couple of years.