Old 14-07-2003, 09:22 PM
jammer

Default Help for Wilting African Violet? ...

Water from the bottom. Leave in a pan of water until it quits sucking
it up, then remove it. It'll flower.

On 14 Jul 2003 10:34:11 -0700, (Linda W.) wrote:

"B & J" wrote in message ...
"Linda W." wrote in message
om...
Hello ...

I have three African violets. One that I have had for three years is
now suddenly wilted, and the leaves and stems are very soft and limp
to the touch.

This plant has sentimental value for me and I would not like anything
to happen to it.

Might anyone know what is causing this, and what I should do?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks ...

Linda W.

AV's are probably one of the easiest plants to grow. My guess is that you
overwatered it because it was flowering and put on a great show.
Unfortunately, AV respond well to a bit of benign neglect, particularly when
it comes to excess watering. They don't like wet feet.

Here are a couple of thoughts that might work to resurrect you plant: l.
Clean off the old soil from the plant and repot in new soil that isn't soggy
and keep the new soil damp but not wet. 2. Break off one of the healthiest
leaves from your plant at the base and put it in water. When roots develop,
plant the leaf in a high humus soil and wait for new plants appear.
Personally, I would repot first and try for a new plant from a leaf as a
backup.

Good luck...

John

John and Tracy ...

Thanks so much for your responses.

The soil in the little pot is indeed quite wet, and so I think your
overwatering theory is probably correct. I'm not even sure why I
watered it so much, as I generally tend to let them get dry in between
waterings.

John, the plant wasn't flowering at the time I watered it. In fact,
I've put all three plants out on my balcony rather than in their usual
location inside because I thought perhaps more light out there might
encourage them to flower. The one in question hasn't flowered for
years.

I don't have any extra soil on hand but if the soil the plant is in
doesn't begin to get dryer today, I guess I will purchase some. Any
suggestions on what to purchase? And I'll also see if I can start
rooting a leaf, too.

I hope the plant will be able to dry out. As I said, it has
sentimental value to me.

It would be fun if the plants would also flower (although I'll be
happy if that one just dries out okay), but I'm not sure what else to
do beyond trying to give them more light.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

Linda W.