Old 14-07-2003, 10:32 PM
David Hill

Default Plant Labels - from used aluminium cans

"....... One of my gardening books suggests using old aluminium cans to
make permanent plant labels. I assume you scratch the plant name onto the
shiny metal
side of the aluminium foil. Excuse my ignorance, but does this work... erm
how long do they last ? (Does the metal colourize over time ?) ........"

You cut the label to the size you want then using an old Ball point pen you
inscribe the name, the indentation will last for years.

If you want to label tree or shrub then make a hole at each end . Insert
soft wire into one end, then wind several coils around your ball point pen
to form a coil like a spring, then plain wire to other end of the label.
As the tree or shrub grows there is plenty of slack in the coil, so nothing
gets embedded in the plant.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries