Old 14-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default How does one get old stumps to rot?

In message , amanda pope
writes
Quickest way to get rid ( without hand digging it out) is to use a stump
chipper. I do not think they can be hired as yet but I may be wrong.

You can hire them, but they are expensive - I saw a price of about
GBP100 for a day, probably cost less to get someone in to do the job.

Rotting stumps takes years and leaves a dangerous slimy obstacle in your
garden.

Only if it's in the way, I quite like a bit of rotting wood in the
garden, good for all sorts of little beasties.

If a chipper proves to expensive dig it out apples are not too difficult.
There are a lot of no job too small laborours in the local paper if you can
not do it yourself

Indeed, I recently took out a willow stump (the trunk was well over a
foot) it was fairly hard work, but only took about an hour (at the end
of a day clearing about 20m of old beech hedge)

If the apple has been down for sometime then the roots may well be
rotting al ready and this will ease the process.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: