Old 15-07-2003, 01:22 AM
V_coerulea

Default wild black cherry - are the cherries edible?

We make cherry jelly & jam every year. Yes all parts are poisonous except
the pulp. I assume you're talking about the wild cherry that has very small
fruit in large clusters on med to large sized trees (Prunus serotina, I
believe). When ripe they're easy to strip from the cluster and then squeeze
the juice out for your jelly. There's not enough pulp on them to consider
eating fresh. But if you do, it might be wise not to swallow too many pits.
I assume you're not going to eat the bark and leaves or make them into tea.
I don't believe that would be a wise move. Although there are herbalists who
sell it....
Gary

"george" wrote in message
Someone told me that all parts of this plant were poisonous but I
thought it was only the wood and leaves. Can I eat the cherries or
not? I have a huge tree on my property now and I want to eat some of
the fruit!