Old 15-07-2003, 01:52 AM
Henry

Default Mr Lincoln's WOW!

Shiva wrote:
On 12 Jul 2003 00:53:49 -0400, Tom Line wrote:

About the time I decided the dark green dull folage in my new Mr Lincoln's
was the crap, they started blooming. DAWG! I've never seen so many shape
and stunning color changes in a rose bloom before. Keepers!! They're tiny
red, then purple, then they get red and BIG. What a show!

Mr. L. was among the first roses I grew and I will never forget my
pride at being able to grow such perfect, long-stemmed red buds and
lush red-to-purple blooms. It was a vigorous rose here, too. All in
all, I can see why it is a good choice for a beginner, and just a
great all around rose. My taste has since changed to the point that
Mr. L. doesn't suit me--too tall a plant (like, 12-15 feet), too
upright a habit, and blooms that just do not stay red very long or
have a "nice" (eg high centered) form. But STILL-- it is one of the
all around great roses. Congrats on how well yours is doing.

My experience is similar. Mr. Lincoln was one of the first roses I put
in and I really liked the color and fragrance (which was quite strong).
Now, however, my tastes have changed (I'd say refined but that is
debatable). I prefer the look of old roses, particularly bourbon and
noisette forms as well as the simple elegance of single (i.e. five
petaled) roses. I don't really care for the hybrid tea bloom. Sure,
it's pretty but to my eye, there are much prettier flowers out there. I
still have a few hybrid teas but Mr. Lincoln is gone and mostly
forgotten. I'm in denial, however. I didn't shovel prune it, I just
moved it during last summer's drought and forgot to water it...

Don't let this discourage you if you like Mr. Lincoln. It is a lovely
flower and if it is what you like, grow it. This is one of the greatest
things about roses. The extent of flower variation is nothing short of
amazing. Trying to get consensus on what the prettiest is would be like
trying to get consensus on the best painter or author of all time.
Tastes vary. Viva la difference.

About dark green foliage--have you seen that of the climber New Dawn?
Small leaves, but wow! Dark dark green and so shiny!

My New Dawn cutting that I was given this spring is growing well, has
had a single bloom and now has three small buds.

--
Henry