Old 15-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Alan Dunbrook

Default [IBC] Repotting Buttonwood

Well, I have to disagree!! Buttonwood is not any more difficult than
ficus. True..it will grow differently in the north(other than in
summer), than it would in Florida or if you use Metal Halide.
The first potting may be the most difficult for any nursery tree because
you just don't know what you will find rootwise.
One thing I've found about repotting buttonwood in the north in summer
is the temperature changes. It can be hot, great for repotting, then the
night or day temps can drop to 40's - 50's. In my experience not good
after a repot. The only time I had trouble after a repot was this temp.
change. Once it's outside for the summer, it stays there. The tree is
about 36"h x 40"w.
The only trouble I had with buttonwood:
It had aphids once outside, never seen scale ever.
Once in Feb. after I'd had it for 3 years it dropped about 75% of it's
leaves. I think it was pot bound, it refoliated.
I had some root rot, changed the soil mix. This is when I stopped using
peat in any soil mix. It's been said that peat is used in the mix in
Florida for buttonwood, well.
It may get some leaf burn after you bring it outside. I've never worried
about it, cut them off, it will soon produce more leaves.

Like Carl I use Mir-Acid, the only time it doesn't get fed too much is
Oct. - Dec.
Then it begins to grow well Jan. on.
I use a humidifier, never measured the humidity level, feels okay. A few
fans for air circ.
tomato plant! No way!

Regards,
Alan
.................................................. ......................
The last ( and MY last) buttonwood I also repotted about this time of
year in NE Ohio. Seemed a good time for tropical. Root ball pretty good.
Same source as yours.
It INSTANTLY wilted and dried up to be thrown out after a few weeks of
watching it turn completely brown.
Past buttonwoods took the dive at various other seasons for various
other reasons. My advice for buttonwoods outside of south
Florida....pass on 'em. Don't be seduced by the trunks ( or the "Dark
Side") . If it suvives your repotting the BIGGEST challenge ahead is
getting it through an Ohio winter inside, unless you are prepared to
dedicate quite a bit to keeping this one plant alive! LOTS of heat and
humidity, and, if you do, it will STILL NEVER look like it would in S,
Florida. They are like trying to over-winter a tomato plant!! My advice
for best tropical to grow in Ohio....The Willow-leaf Ficus. It is the
BEST for us. I have quite a few and they respond wonderful. Regards,
Dale Cochoy