Old 15-07-2003, 06:02 AM
K Barrett

Default phal growing only small leaves

No, it just doesn't like its conditions.

It had large long leaves, then Gal got it and it hates her. *G* (I'm
kidding! But that's the way it feels sometimes!)

Now we have to figure out how to make it like her.

You say the roots look good. What size/ kind of medium did you repot it in
Gal?

When my phals do that to me (believe me, they do that to me!) its because
they are not getting the water and food I think I'm giving them.

In my case I tried potting my phals in paper pots that dry out really fast
with medium bark - that dries out really fast too. Don't ask me why I did
that. I really don't know.

So. While I *think* I'm watering and fertilizing well, my phals are actually
drying out way too fast becasue the medium is too 'open' and the pot
breathes too much. Water evaporates way too fast. Roots dry out. They are
gasping. Leading to a slow steady decline. (ie small leaves) Bottom leaves
drop like crazy.

And yes, I have some phals that just love these conditions. Others hate my
guts.

So, what's a mother to do? Try a finer medium, or a plastic pot or something
that will hold just a *touch* more moisture around the roots. Your habits
and condtions are good, so don't change them. Just change your medium, or
teh pot. Or both. Or place just a top dressing of sphagnum moss over the
medium in order to hold just a tad more moisture at the growth zone (where
the roots start).

Write back and tell me if I'm full of it.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Sounds like it must be that particular plant, then, suggesting there's
nothing you can do about it...

Does anyone out there know if there's any kind of fungus or other pathogen
that causes such stunting?

. . . . . . . . . . .
"gal" wrote in message
om...
Hi Ray,

Humidity is 50 to 60% and never less than 40%.
Temperature is 70F to 85F and never less than 50F.
I water once a week.
I feed every third week.
The plants get late indirect afternoon sun.

The thing is that I have three other Phal under the same conditions
that grow normally

Regards

Gal