Old 15-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Gordon Couger

Default BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Moosh:]" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:02:14 +0100, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

Lived on a farm, Jim? Would you drink unpasteurised from just
anywhere? Pooled milk? Thought not

have done in the UK when we could get it. Given the testing it has to

go
through I haven't any worries.

That's fine, but the Amish, or their supporters seem to want to
dispense with all of that new fangled testing and stuff. I wouldn't
buy unpasteurised dairy from a roadside stall.

In the UK you might be able to sell it from a roadside stall, but the

stall
would have to meet certain standards and the milk would still be tested.
Indeed in theory I ought to have a warning notice on our fridge so that my
wife and daughter know that it is unpasteurised milk.

Ignoring the health aspect for a minute, unpasteurised milk is best drunk
cold (direct from the bulk tank is ideal) and a road side stall is

unlikely
to be cold enough)

certainly no TB or similar in the family in the
20th cent and none that we know of in the century before that. With

TB
and
Brucella testing in milk on an almost daily basis these are not

going
be
a problem any more.

But the Amish wouldn't do that either, for similar reasons, would
they?

god alone kows

Two puns in the one short sentence. Good one, Jim

we exist purely to serve :-)

It is probable that urban people with their lower level of immunity

many
things

Where do you get this from?

just read widely, you find that rural populations and farm populations

tend
to have higher immunity to certain things

I've not heard this. Farm populations in Australia have just as high
rates of asthma which is odd considering all the speculation about
pollution being the cause. I imagine any population is more immune to
what it is often exposed to. And those who don't measure up just die
out

rural or farm immunity to E Coli 157 was mentioned earlier in this thread.

suspect my level of immunity to ringworm is a lot higher than the

population
at large :-)

Can't remember where (or what day it is but recently I read about
the number of cases of food poisoning from unpasteurised cheese.
Perhaps it was a public scare propaganda campaign to stop
unpasteurised imports

certainly the French are perfectly happy with unpasteurised cheese. In the
UK I think they merely suggest that they are not advised for pregnant

women

I would have no problems drinking unpasturised milk when I was a kid we had
a cow and then a goat for a while. Goats milk is the better of the two.

The health and safety people are over zealous on the subject and they will
win. It is amazing the differences in what different people have problems
with. In California it fine to kill a horse and make dog food out of it but
it is against the law to sell it if it is going to be used for human
consumption. Sure has hurt the California horse sales and helped their
neighbors. We are going to let the world beat us to stem cell research by
placating the religious right. I expect we are loosing researchers to
friendlier climates faster than we are gaining biotech people.

The whole world is upside down on risk management. They let a few squawking
crows side track the whole world.

Gordon.