Old 24-01-2003, 11:06 PM
The Ranger

Default Pear Tree Death

zxcvbob helpfully posted:
My pear tree died a very painful and messy death -- [..]
Any thoughts/ideas?

I don't *think* you have to worry about the soil; fireblight
is a bacteria that is often spread via cut surfaces when pruning,
and I think maybe by flies to the flowers. You should plant
a fireblight resistant variety. Be very careful about sanitaion
when you prune; prune when the weather is not damp, and
dip the shears in a bleach solution between every cut.

I wasn't judicious enough in my attempts at pruning when I first spotted the
problem areas, which led to the trunk eventually contracting the problem.
Such a waste; it was a damned fine [regular] producer! I harvested enough
fruit from its bowing branches the last two years that even my neighbors got
a chance at enjoying my patience.

This is good to know, though, because I have a dozen roses planted around
the front and backyards to make me wary and watchful.

Remove any fireblight infected growth next time (and burn it)

That's not possible where I live.

[snip] If you have a Fleet Farm store nearby,

I don't but I do have a domestic animal supply house within range that will
be able to get me the product you mention below. That shouldn't be a problem
at all.

the "Steramine" dairy cleaner and udder wash [..]
Don't replant with "Bartlett".

The last was Anjou. sigh As I said, such a waste...

The Ranger

PS: Thank you to all the posters. It has been a good lesson and the learning
curve wasn't as significant as I feared.