Old 15-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Can I move Rhododendrons in the Summer???

Danno" wrote:

I have 3 large Rhody's in the front of my house that I would like to move.
I read somewhere that Summer is not a good time to do this....can anyone
confirm this for me??

The problems a
1) with large rhododendrons it is very difficult to move without greatly
disturbing the root system.
2) summer is a time when the plant needs much water.
3) it is difficult for a damaged root system to secure enough water for
the plant.

If you absolutely had to move the plant, you could cut the top way back
to reduce the demands on the roots. Then very carefully try to save all
of the root structure. Rhododendrons don't have a very deep root system,
but you need to secure all of the roots out to an area near the drip
line.

The best way would be to root prune the plants now by running a spade
into the soil in a circle around the plant to cut back the ends of the
roots. This will cause the plants to form nice compact root balls that
are easy to transplant.

Then early next spring, after the ground thaws out (if it freezes in
your area) carefully dig out the plant and move it without disturbing
the roots any more than necessary.

In any case it will need good drainage but adequate water for a while
after transplanting. The trick is not too much water when the weather
is warm because this can cause root rot which is fatal.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman