Old 15-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Frogleg

Default Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant?

On 14 Jul 2003 23:55:06 GMT, ospam (Roseb441702)
wrote:

I was at my local Franks store because I wanted some tomato plants. I must
have been there after the good ones were taken but I was determined not to
leave without one! I got one that was so thin and small but I bought it and
took it home to plant it in the ground. My mother (she grew up on a farm) made
such fun of me but it did get healthier and produced some tomatoes.

Often. Many non-garden stores that sell plants seasonally start out
with greenhouse-grown pots and baskets, which gradually wilt and fade
through neglect. Nothing finer than getting a scraggy (perennial)
that's been successively been marked down from $9.99 to $1, and only
needs regular water and light to bring it back. Not to mention the
bonus of a $2-3 pot.

I also once grew a lovely 3-generation piggy-back plant from a leaf on
a greenhouse floor. I didn't pinch it off; I just picked it up and
rooted it. Got a nice Rex begonia that way, too.