Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM
llama mama

Default wild black cherry - are the cherries edible?

pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote in
:

Yes all parts are poisonous except
the pulp.

I used to eat them from the tree when I lived in Norfolk, VA,
where there were many of them. The fruit is somewhat
bittersweet, but when it is fully ripe, I found it delicious.
I spit out the pits.

Or you wouldn't be with us today, I assume.

unless you chew up the pits, they aren't too likely to harm you. the
human digestive system passes them through. we just don't have enough
acid to dissolve the outer shell of the pit.
but the pits aren't very tasty & spitting pits is kind of amusing...
better to spit than swollow in this case
my goats & llamas love the bark & leaves, and according to my vet a
little is ok *unless* it is at all wilted. wilted cherry is *very*
poisonous to livestock. she also says wilted maple leaves are bad. any
idea why that would be?

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital