Old 15-07-2003, 05:03 PM
John Rutz

Default babies

RichToyBox wrote:
John,

In the pond, very few survive. The koi love caviar after a good breeding.
I usually end up with about three a year that survive in the pond, but I
haven't seen any this year, and this years spawn was a major spawn. Eggs on
every surface, at least one egg deep, liner, plants, buckets rocks
surrounding the pond, in the pond, out of the pond in the air. I salvage a
few hyacinths and lettuce and move them to a Rubbermaid stock tank as a
nursery. I probably have a couple hundred from about 3/8 inch to 1 1/2
inch. They are fun to watch grow. Some are starting to show some pattern,
but none of the red has come up. It will probably be late September before
I decide which stay and which go to the LFS. Look into one of the flake
feeds from AES, page 125. I feed the spirulina about 4 times a day.

--
thanks Rich

a week after the spawn I cleaned a lot of the algae from the pond it
still had quite a few unfertile eggs in it, I have two farily large
pumps pumping into the veggie filter, last year I found about a dozen 1
in fish in the bio filter so I *may* have quite a few in the veggie bog
if they got as far as the pumps If so I wont see them for several weeks
probly not till next fall when evey thing goes dormant

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at: