Old 15-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Gerard-P

Default Den. pendulum

Exactly my questions. Thank you Wendy

Regards

Gerard

"Wendy" wrote in message
news:zgTQa.3913$He.2165@fed1read03...
Hi SV, Very nice photographs. Great job but you are right about those
popups!
Do you have your D. pendulum in pure sphagnum & how does it not fall out
at that angle? I was given a small chunk & it was in a plastic cup with
holes.
My friend told me it needs to grow down so in my haste I put the cup
sideways, tilted at an angle & it did bloom for me. I had forgotton about
this so need to rearrange it. I think I shall take it out of the cup & put
it in the basket.
Shorten two of the wires so that it is at an angle.
I also like it hanging down & it is in high light in my gh.
Cheers Wendy

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
I realize that I'm coming into this thread late and will probably
duplicate some of what has already been said, here goes anyway.

D. pendulum is a naturally pendent growing plant. I know of none with
an upright growth habit. Although, there may be some. Some Dendrobium
species do have individuals of each persuasions. Whatever the plant's
habit is, upright, pendent, arching or...? about the only things I
know of that will influence it's habit are directional light and
staking. Directional light can make an upright or pendent growing
plants grow almost horizontally with the weight of the plant
subsequently drawing it down more. Any pendent growing orchid can be
made to grow upright if it is staked so and maintained in that
orientation. Growth habits can be manipulated. I do not do it myself.
I have many pendent growing Dendrobiums and like them that way.

They can be mounted on almost anything you can think of. My D.
pendulum is on a hardwood raft. It's the equivelent of the bottom
layer of a wooden basket. I do have photos. The problem is that my web
site photo album is all torn apart right now and nothing is
accessible. Another of my favorite mounting materials is bark from big
old Cottonwoods. I've found several that have been knocked over and
killed by avalanches. The bark is heavily fissured and can be as much
as 4" to 6" or more thick. It makes very interesting mounts. The cost
is a strenuous day outdoors.

I'll go work on my photo album to see if I can get the D. pendulum
photo available. no promises yet.
S V

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message

t...
Thanks Gene. A lot of photos show of Dends, they look like they are

growing
down instead of up. What would happen if you hung a cane type dend-

(canes
are 24" long") upside down, the weight is going to go this way anyway?

think it will adjust, trying to find its light.

Diane