Old 15-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

Default Identify a plant

No I mean to say, crypts are not stem plants and do not propagate
like that.What you've witnessed are probably runners. A large variety of
crypts, including the ones you've mentioned, propagate via runners.
Glad to hear you've having luck with them though.

What you mean to say is you have never seen it happen. I have various

crypts
in my tank and I have seen a few doing it this way. I am not sure which

ones
but it is either wendtii, beckettii, willisii or cordata I am sorry I

can't
be more specific but I have had them that long I can't remember which is
which I have to strip out excess plants every year and have given away
hundreds, in fact I gave a friend two bag loads last year and he planted a
7'x2' tank and gave the rest away to some of his friends.

I can't show you pictures ATM as the tank is just recovering it's growth
after the last thin out at the beginning of the year, although at the rate
they are growing it wont be long till I have to thin again.

There is no CO2 and I don't feed, the lighting is a 30 watt white
fluorescent and the tank is 48x18x20 deep split in two down the middle to
make two 2' tanks. The base is half an inch of potting compost covered by

3
to 4 inches of gravel and it has been set up for seven years. Fish are,

left
side half a dozen zebra danios and a plec, right side two golden

gouramies,
half a dozen red eye tetras and a plec. Both sides have internal canister
filters and the heating is only on when the lights are on which is 12

hours
per day, there is no heating at night.

HTH.

--