Old 15-07-2003, 08:55 PM
animaux

Default Best time to trim oak?

On 15 Jul 2003 07:49:56 -0700, (Steve Coyle) wrote:

Howdy folks,
In regards to this exchange:
In your opinion, what is the best time of year to trim oak trees?

in the winter

I would add, the reason being is that like all trees there is less
stress , pruning while the tree is dormant ( and of course you can see
what you are doing ). With Oaks to protect against Oak wilt spread,
keep a bucket of water/ bleach solution to disinfect your shears
between cuts and paint the cuts with pruning sealer ( a spray can
works for small cuts, a brush for big cuts ). In addition, get a book
( I think Sperry's Texas Gardening will do ) or pull up a web site
with tree pruning illustrations to show the proper location of the
location of the cuts, it's important and you don't want a careless
job.
take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

I thought the extension services did away with painting the cuts. Was I wrong?
I never painted mine, but I am nowhere oak wilt in this part of northeast Round
Rock.

I may be thinking about how it was up north...but I could swear I heard either
Dromgoole or Garrett say painting the cuts is no longer suggested by extension.

It can't hurt to paint, IMO. Especially when it comes to very large,
irreplaceable trees.

Victoria