Old 15-07-2003, 08:56 PM
David Lloyd-Jones

Default Unabomber Manifesto -- an excerpt

RP Henry wrote:
"Richard Herring" ] asked:
What percentage of US citizens even have passports?

I've had one since 1980 and never used it.
My 9-year-old daughter, on the other hand, has used hers twice.

Richard,

I'm not sure that this was the exact focus of the other Richard's
question, interesting though it be to know.

There were just short of 7 million US passports issued in 1995, the
latest year for which I've seen numbers. US passports last ten
years, but are renewable. If half of all passports get renewed, that
would suggest somewhere around 110 million passports out there. This
only gets us half way there, since nobody has a clue how many US
citizens there are to within 5%.

A reasonable guess, however, might be that 35~40% of Americans have
passports.

-dlj.