Old 15-07-2003, 10:07 PM
solo_voyager

Default Den. pendulum

All 60+ of my orchids are grown in-home under very low (30 to 50% RH)
humidity conditions in S-SW facing windows (That's all I've got.). To
compensate for this, I pick the types I grow. My favorites that do the
best for me are the high altitude, monsoonal climate Dendrobiums that
require a cool, dry winter rest. Many of these are pendent, to my
delight. Local enthusiasts that are GH growers have a very difficult
time dealing with the relatively good results I get. I have developed
my own system that does not meet any orchid cultivation criteria I've
ever seen. But, It works for me. You can't argue with success. Under
more humid conditions some of my methods could be detrimental to the
plants.

With that said, here is how I deal with mounted pendants:

All of my mounted orchids have a large wad of sphagnum tied around the
mount in the root area. This cuts the need to water to usually every
2nd or 3rd day. For the last few weeks it's been 1 to 2 days. I never
water untill the sphagnum it completely dry. Most of these Dendrobiums
do not like their roots to be wet all the time. They need drying out
even during their growth period.

For the D. pendulum and others on similar rafts, I've tied it to a
slat in the middle of the raft with a plastic covered wire tie. Then,
I've packed sphagnum around all the slats on the raft and tied it into
place with nylon fishing line. Then, I've cut a piece of oak board to
fit the backside of the raft and screwed it into place (brass or ss
screws). This leaves only one side of the mount exposed to
evaporation. My Dend.'s mounted in this way are all very happy and
grow very nicely for me. Others I have mounted on the Cottonwood bark
with wads of sphagnum tied into place over the fissures in the bark
giving similar conditions to the rafts. Some of the roots just grow
into the moss, others through it and attach to the raft or bark as if
the moss wasn't there.

"Wendy" wrote in message news:zgTQa.3913$He.2165@fed1read03...
Hi SV, Very nice photographs. Great job but you are right about those
popups!
Do you have your D. pendulum in pure sphagnum & how does it not fall out
at that angle? I was given a small chunk & it was in a plastic cup with
holes.
My friend told me it needs to grow down so in my haste I put the cup
sideways, tilted at an angle & it did bloom for me. I had forgotton about
this so need to rearrange it. I think I shall take it out of the cup & put
it in the basket.
Shorten two of the wires so that it is at an angle.
I also like it hanging down & it is in high light in my gh.
Cheers Wendy