Old 15-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default What is killing my beans?

In article ,
Howard Neil hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk wrote:
I have some climbing beans in my polytunnel. Something, during the night, is
systematically biting through the stems near to the ground. Nothing else is
being touched.

My main suspects are a couple of hedgehogs that have recently appeared but I
thought that they mainly eat slugs, snails and insects.

Does anyone know if hedgehogs are likely to do this? If not, has anyone any
other ideas, please?

Only if rabid :-)

You are correct in what they eat, and they are almost certainly
hunting the culprits - which are probably slugs or snails. If
the stems are semi-woody, then the culprits are more likely to
be voles, or perhaps mice, and hedgehogs can't deal with them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.