Old 15-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Martin Jensen

Default question about seeding fruit trees

An earlier poster had mentioned grafting on to dwarfing rootstock. Dwarfing
rootstock will produce a tree that is about 8 - 12 ft tall. Stardard rootstock
produces a tree about 20-25 ft tall, semi-dwarf rootstock will get you a 10-20
foot tree. All of these are round about figures your mileage may vary. I have a
neighbor with a 30 foot pear tree. I been grafting on to mini rootstock which
will give me trees about 6 feet tall. But without pruning it could ge bigger
than that.

Marty

On 7/12/2003 7:35 PM, Dave Allyn (Dave Allyn) wrote:
How high are the power lines? Peach trees do not get all that tall --
less than 20 feet. When I lived in Texas and had a bunch of peach
trees, I *think* they topped out about 12 feet.

not to mention, most trees can be trimed to avoid the lines. the
power company will probably even do it for you.

On the other hand, how tall do you want a fruit tree to get? prune it
yourself. I wish someone had done that with the apple tree I
inheritaed with the house... sucker is 30 feet tall, and I lose most
of the fruit due to not able to reach it.

while we are talking about it... anyone know how to prune an apple
tree?

Central IL small garden, but do my best!

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!