Old 15-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Gene Schurg

Default stupid, stupid, stupid... but I got 'em on sale!

I've heard that excuse from Home Depot in the past with out of bloom plants.
"We can't discount them further because we will return them to the grower
for credit"

Often you will go back there weeks and months later and the same plants just
get worse and worse. I don't know what they return. Maybe it's cheaper for
them to wait until the plant is fully dehydrated and dead to save on the
shipping costs back to the grower. Somehow, I think this is just an excuse
to keep them from reducing the price.

Sometimes you will find a greenhouse manager who will reduce the price to a
buck a piece.

If they have a $10 plant that is out of bloom and selling for $5, how much
credit would HD receive from the grower?

Although I still stop to look at the out of bloom rack, it really has to be
something special for me to consider taking an at risk plant back to my
collection. There is only so much room and I'd rather have something I
really want than something that was cheap.

Good Growing,
Gene