Old 16-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Anne Lurie

Default dwarf tree recomendations

Just make sure that any "dwarf tree" you buy has read its own
description!!!! In NJ, we planted a "dwarf" (hah!) nectarine next to a
driveway -- so we got to watch squirrels sitting on the roof of the car
eating nectarines! (not terribly good for the finish on the car).

As for "two labradors who are non discriminate eaters" -- now, there's
understatement for you! (I have 2 half Labs, one is half Chessie, the other
is half Cocker Spaniel, and "they ain't nuthin' they won't eat").

I suggest you go with a dogwood -- you'll have time to deal with the
tree's growth, and it doesn't produce anything for the dogs to eat. Also, I
think it would dogwood a decade or so to reach 12' H x 7' wide, but I may be
still thinking in Yankee terms!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Heidi" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a space in my yard perfect for a dwarf tree. Any
recommendations? My only limitation is a tree that does not drop any
fruit. We have two labradors who are non discriminate eaters, and I
don't want to leave any edibles in their path. Our girls will even eat
rotten crabapples on the sidewalk! I would also like a tree that is
does not get to wide. I had initially thought of a dwarf dogwood, but I
hear they have a wide span. I would ideally like a tree that spans less
than 7 feet wide, and reaches a max of 12 feet. Is there such a tree
out there???

Thanks!
Heidi