Old 16-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Scopata Fuori

Default Let's Talk About Mulch

"Shiva" wrote in message
So the paper is not the same as the plastic, and you prefer the paper,
which breaks down? Perhaps it works the same as newspaper?

When I refer to it as "paper," I guess that's not exactly correct...although
that's what it was labeled as. It's very similar to paper, but it is a
tough, fibrous material that has a half-life of approximately seven years,
from what I have observed. The "plastic" I was referring to, was a stretchy,
permeated material, that the weeds just grew right through. And it gets
destroyed in the process. I had thought it would work better...it didn't.

If I were a little more motivated this evening, I'd take a photograph of my
"long" garden, to show the dramatic difference. The first fourteen feet or
so are just choked with weeds, and the rest, with the "fibrous strand" paper
has a stray here and there...the dividing line is unmistakeable, as far as
weedproofing.

It will have to be redone...all the mulch raked up, the remaining scraps of
plastic mess removed, the weeds growing through the plastic mess ripped out,
and everything re-laid, including the soakers.

OK, now I am motivated....will go take a photo before the sun goes down any
further.

Scopata Fuori