Old 16-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Henry

Default Let's Talk About Mulch

Shiva wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:35:31 GMT, "kljcvlzkj" wrote:

I'm not a fan of mulch. It smells, attracts ants, and doesn't do a thing
for the weed population. Instead, I planted a bunch of lambs ears, thyme,
mint, and oregano in the rose beds. It provides enough cover to hold
moisture in and goes a long way towards keeping weeds out.

Sounds good, but what do you do about adding organic stuff to your
beds? Roses need good, whole food, just as we do. This is my main
reason for applying mulch. Retaining moisture and controlling weeds
are secondary and tertiary. I cannot imagine what you used that
"smelled" and attracted ants--pine bark smells lovely. What was it you
were thinking of, just curious?

Speaking of mulch that smells good, if you are ever in Hershey,
Pennsylvania, particularly during the late spring when the roses are in
their first flush, be sure to stop by the Hershey Rose Gardens. Among
other things, they mulch with cocoa hulls. If you like chocolate, you
will love this garden.

--
Henry